Monday, November 5, 2012

Happy Guy Fawkes Day (oh God, I am such a nerd)!!!!

So it's the famous "5th of November", aka Guy Fawkes Day in merry ol' Britland. Why do I care about it, you ask? Well,
  1. I'm a dork for England (even though I'm American)
  2. I'm a dork for England's history
  3. I'm a HUGE dork for "V for Vendetta"!
Yes, V for Vendetta. For those who don't know, it's a film starring British actors Hugo Weaving, Stephen Fry, John Hurt, and non-British actress Natalie Portman. She plays a London woman and does a pretty damn good job with the accent. Anyway, Hugo Weaving saves her and a chain of events leads back to some event back in the past that started all this in an "I'm-not-going-to-spoil-for-you-because-I-want-you-to-watch-it-so-WATCH-IT-NOW!!!!!!"

That went nowhere.....

Anyway, since it's "the 5th of November", I'm going to share with you the poem that got Hugo Weaving to be the next POTO, sans the singing. Here is the Guy Fawkes Poem and please, please, PLEASE watch V for Vendetta, and remember the 5th of November.

<3, RS

I DARE you to not read this poem in Hugo Weaving's voice! I DARE you!


Remember, remember, the 5th of November
The Gunpowder Treason and plot ;
I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,
'Twas his intent.
To blow up the King and the Parliament.
Three score barrels of powder below.
Poor old England to overthrow.
By God's providence he was catch'd,
With a dark lantern and burning match

Holloa boys, Holloa boys, let the bells ring
Holloa boys, Holloa boys, God save the King!

Hip hip Hoorah !
Hip hip Hoorah !

A penny loaf to feed ol'Pope,
A farthing cheese to choke him.
A pint of beer to rinse it down,
A faggot of sticks to burn him.
Burn him in a tub of tar,'
Burn him like a blazing star.
Burn his body from his head,
Then we'll say: ol'Pope is dead
.

No comments:

Post a Comment