Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Damn, Fox. You're All Right...



**WARNING!: SPOILER ALERT!!!

 

<Le me after watching "Sleepy Hollow">
...........
.....
..
.
Wow... this is actually pretty good.


*************************************************************

So..."Sleepy Hollow"... It was a surprise to me that a sophisticated show like this was on the FOX network. It actually held my attention and didn't cause me to have a headache from the fact that it was a FOX show. I even forgot that it belonged to FOX and thought I was watching an ABC production, like "Once Upon a Time". Here's some things I liked about this show based on what the pilot episode offered:
  1. I liked how the writers actually decided to go with the whole concept of Hell as a looming antagonist (besides the main antagonist, the Headless Horseman, a.k.a the First Horseman of the Apocalypse). The ending scene with the blurry Devil figure in the mirror still creeps me out. Also, the whole thing with the tie-in to the Book of Revelations and connecting that to the original "Sleepy Hollow" story is an interesting mix. I'd like to see more awesomeness like this in the future of this surprisingly-good TV show.
  2. I like how the characters have actually been fleshed out instead of somewhat-3D-figures-of-cardboard-cutouts-that-should-be-characters-but-aren't that FOX usually has in most of the shows they choose to sponsor. It's a refreshing quality that I'd like to see more of.
  3. I like how the writing is being done, how it gives you a taste of some information that's interesting, but leaves you hungry to find out how this connects and what really happened to the Headless Horseman and Ichabod Crane. Some questions that are still in my mind are
    • What happened to Ichabod's wife, Katrina after Ichabod "died"? What made her be under the property of the Devil? Will we see more of this character? Will she be an important plot point somewhere in the future?
    • Who was the priest that got beheaded by the Horseman? Why did he recognise Ichabod when they drove past in the police car? Did he manage to survive 250 years as an immortal? Was he a descendant of the priest in Ichabod's flashbacks? Was he the priest from Ichabod's flashbacks? What else did he know besides where the Horseman's head was?
    • Why did the writers decide that Abby has a sister who's been driven into insanity? Will she appear later on in the show?
    • What else is on George Washington's map?
    • Why was Ichabod surrounded by jars of preserved animals in the cave where he was buried? Is the cave on some magical ground? Why were some of the animals in the jars still alive when Ichabod woke up?
    • Will the rest of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse be woken up/brought to Earth? Will the Devil eventually become a badass villain or be a greater looming presence behind the physical horror of the First Horseman? Will there be an epic battle to determine the fate of the world as we know it between the humans and the Horsemen? Will it be overly epic?
  4. I like the guy they cast for Ichabod Crane. Dang. His accent...so amazing...! XD

Anyway, I liked what I saw from "Sleepy Hollow", and I hope you can check it out and see what all the fuss is about. My only hope is that this show will continue to thrive and not die out, because this world needs more hot semi-British guys fighting off the forces of Hell.

I hope this show becomes a thing.

p.s. Sulu was an asshole. He deserved what he got.
p.p.s. http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/533352

No comments:

Post a Comment